So here's the scoop

Forum for discussing your pagan book library, book of the month, and latest great finds.

So here's the scoop

Postby Aaron » February 17th, 2011, 6:30 pm

So here's the scoop. I bought this wonderful book, The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells on Amazon and at the time I didn't realize that it was coming from a wonderful, albeit far away, bookstore. Post Script Books 24 Langroyd Road, London SW17 7PL England. So I ordered the book and according to the Amazon listing it would take about a month; my reaction was well maybe it was out of stock...it happens. Well a month and a half goes by and no book. So, I contact the bookstore and the customer service manager (wonderful lady!!!) sent another out that day and with the stipulation that if they both arrive that I donate one to a library or something like that. Just after the first one arrived which was the replacement, the second (original one which apparently was held up in Paris France for whatever reason) arrived.

Now, if I were to give this to a library around here I feel it would go on blind eyes as I am smack dab in the Arm Pit of Bible thumping land. So I would like to put it out there if any of you cats know a place where this wonderful Multicultural Encyclopedia would have a good home please PM me an address I can send it to. IT IS FREE!!!! :)

That being said if anyone one here could use it in their own library I see nothing wrong with that and will take the first person to solve a riddle I will post later this weekend... :)

THE ELEMENT ENCYCLOPEDIA OF 5000 SPELLS
The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
5000 Spells
by Judika Illes

Enter the world of folklore, myth, witchcraft and magic!
The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells, a comprehensive guide to the magical arts, features five thousand spells spanning five thousand years of magical history drawn from Earth’s every inhabited corner, from ancient to modern Egypt, from old Mesopotamia to today’s African Diaspora. There are spells from Celtic, Chinese, Italian, Jewish, Romany, Slavic and Tibetan traditions plus many more. There’s practical magic, high ritual magic, spells that demand careful planning and spells to be cast spontaneously, spells one might wish to cast daily as well as spells that should perhaps never be performed, spells whose components include precious resins and priceless gems and spells whose every ingredient is free: ocean water, moonbeams, dirt.

Within The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells’ more than one thousand pages you’ll discover:

• Banishing spells
• Better Business and Professional Success Spells
• Cleansing Spells
• Courtcase Spells: Spells for Legal Justice
• Death Spells: Death and Funeral Spells, Ghosts, Necromancy and Vampires
• Divination Spells
• Dream Spells: Dreams, Insomnia, Astral Projection, Witches Flying Ointments
• Fertility Spells
• Gambling Spells
• Healing Spells, both general healing and spells for specific ailments
• Hexes and their Antidotes
• Invisibility and Transformation Spells
• Over 100 pages of Love Spells
• Marriage and Divorce Spells
• Money Spells
• Pregnancy and Childbirth Spells
• Protection Spells
• Plus more . . .

Spells take many forms. Key concepts necessary for successful spell-casting are explained in plain English. In addition to the spells, The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells includes a guide to various forms of spell-casting including working with

• Animals (Familiars and allies)
• Botanicals (in varied forms: dried and fresh herbs, roots, essential oils, flower essences and more)
• Elements (air, earth, fire, water)
• Minerals (crystals, gemstones, lodestones, holed stones)
• Planets, especially Luna and our own Earth
• Spirits (angels, demons, djinn, fairies, lwa, orisha, saints official and otherwise)
• Words (charms, incantations, rhymes, words of power)
• and more . . .

Within these pages you’ll also find a guide to crafting, charging and working with a wide variety of magical tools including:
• Brooms
• Candles
• Cauldrons
• Dolls
• Magic mirrors
• Magic swords
• Magic wands
• Mojo hands
• and more . . .

A Formulary features recipes for classic charged waters, condition oils, magical inks and powders including:
• Angel’s Water
• Florida Water
• Flower Waters
• Holy Waters
• War Water
• Abra-Melin Oil
• Black Cat Oil
• High John Oil
• Jezebel Oil
• Magnet Oil
• Goofer Dust
• Graveyard Dust
• Kyphi
• Dragon’s Blood Ink
• Lampblack Ink
• and more . . .

The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells also serves as a tribute to the magical books of the past. According to many anthropologists, the need to record magic spells and divination results (and taxes!) may have stimulated the very birth of writing.

According to legend, the very first books that ever existed were grimoires, (the technical name for books of magic spells) such as the Book of Thoth, authored by the Egyptian god of both magic and writing or the Book of Raziel, authored by an angel and given to Adam as consolation for his expulsion from Eden. (The angels preferred giving human women private tutorials rather than books.)

The Book of Thoth has been missing for thousands of years although a version of The Book of Raziel is currently in print. (The original volume, engraved on sapphire, is allegedly beneath the sea.) During the Burning Times, when magical practitioners were burned by the thousands or the millions, depending upon whose count one finds reliable, grimoires too were destroyed and burned, together with alchemists’ texts and witches’ private books of shadows, countless volumes of occult wisdom forever lost in the shadows.

The majority of the spells contained in The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells are traditional spells. Although the Burning Times are over, traditional magic remains under siege in much of the world. Spells are lost daily. In a world of ‘rationalists’ and fundamentalists, ancient Earthly wisdom as well as its practitioners are an endangered species.

Magic spells are our common human heritage as are knowledge of magical techniques, whether we choose to use them, whether we wish to keep them on hand for times when they’ll be needed or whether they serve as inspiration and guidance so that we may create our own individual, personalized spells, furthering the evolution of that oldest of human arts, magic.
Attachments
Element Encyclopedia.jpeg
Element Encyclopedia.jpeg (7.38 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Aaron

Re: So here's the scoop

Postby ray » February 18th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Sounds like a wonderful addition to ANY library. If no one has jumped on it, consider me jumping.
One can overcome the forces of negative emotions, like anger and hatred, by cultivating their counter-forces, like love and compassion. - Dalai Lama
ray
Resident Paparazzi
Resident Paparazzi

Path: Wicca(ish)
Sign: Taurus / Earth
Ascendant: Sagittarius
Spirit Animal: Red Tailed Hawk
Reading: Physics of the Impossible
Pagan Book: A Wiccan Bardo
Divination: Deviant Moon Tarot
Meet: Lao Tzu
Lothlorien: 1995
Years Pagan:: 21
Sabbat: Samhain

Postby Aaron » February 18th, 2011, 4:19 pm

ray wrote:Sounds like a wonderful addition to ANY library. If no one has jumped on it, consider me jumping.

A few have peaked interest, perhaps the riddle....? :think: :)
Aaron

Postby Taz » February 18th, 2011, 6:01 pm

I don't typically follow recipes, but still like them for ideas and new ways, bring on the riddle!
I drink fire,
I breathe in the earth,
I wear clouds,
I ride on universe.
I am the warrior,
I swallow sun and the moon,
I wear the stars as my jewelry.
I am the conqueror of the universe.

~Chogyam Trungpa
Taz
Goddess with a Whip
Goddess with a Whip

Path: Spiritual Warrior
Sign: Cancer / Water
Ascendant: Not Entered
Divination: Osho Zen tarot cards, Medicine cards and Runes
Lothlorien: 2007
Years Pagan:: 27

Postby Aaron » February 18th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Oh, I will bring it!!!! I am sifting through the depths of my memories for the perfect riddle! :)
Aaron

Postby dfl » February 19th, 2011, 7:49 am

I need to get mine back out. Love this book. It does spark ideas.
dfl

Postby Aaron » February 19th, 2011, 5:27 pm

The riddle:

The island of Elbonia have a rather eccentric postal system. Postage for an item can be anything from 1 dinari to 15 dinari, and you must use exact postage. Frustratingly, there is only space on the envelopes in Elbonia to attach a maximum of three stamps. What is more, they only have three different denominations of stamps, can you work out what they are?

Good luck.... :)
Aaron

Postby Taz » February 19th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Pm you our answer right? :think:
I drink fire,
I breathe in the earth,
I wear clouds,
I ride on universe.
I am the warrior,
I swallow sun and the moon,
I wear the stars as my jewelry.
I am the conqueror of the universe.

~Chogyam Trungpa
Taz
Goddess with a Whip
Goddess with a Whip

Path: Spiritual Warrior
Sign: Cancer / Water
Ascendant: Not Entered
Divination: Osho Zen tarot cards, Medicine cards and Runes
Lothlorien: 2007
Years Pagan:: 27

Postby Aaron » February 19th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Taz wrote:Pm you our answer right? :think:

Yes please!! :)
Aaron

Postby StarChilde » February 20th, 2011, 9:38 am

Done!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
StarChilde
iPagan Supporter
iPagan Supporter

Path: Witchcraft
Sign: Scorpio / Water
Ascendant: Virgo
Reading: Continually!
Pagan Book: The current one...
Divination: Varies
Meet: Merlin
Lothlorien: 2006
Years Pagan:: 22